At Dame Ellen our aim is to develop pupils' ability to listen, speak, read and write. The outcomes of this will enable pupils to express ideas, views and feelings more effectively.
In our school, English is linked to our teaching of topics. Where appropriate, there is a balance of fiction, non-fiction and poetry taught across the year. The teaching of phonics, grammar, punctuation and spelling is woven into the English units as well as being taught through intervention schemes.
Our pupils have regular opportunities to produce extended pieces of writing. Children produce a ‘Wow Writing’ piece (using their preferred medium of communication) linked to their current genre. Weekly ‘Writing Wizard Lessons’ will take place in every class and teachers will nominate a star ‘Writing Wizard’ to receive a certificate in the Star of the Week assembly fortnightly.
Please click the link at the bottom of the page to view our current English Medium Term overview.
- How you can support at home
- Share a book with them.
- Read for 10 minutes every evening.
- Talk about the pictures.
- Ask questions that encourage your child to think about what they have read or shared with you.
- Use exciting words.
- Add an extra word when describing something.
- Give them opportunities to colour or write, practice writing in the air.
Useful websites that you can use at home.
There are lots of great quality stories to share with your child available on you tube.
Where you can buy Literacy resources
- The Pound Shop (they do workbooks for both Maths and English)
- Car boots and second hand shops are great for books!
- Public library - pop into your local library, they often have a selection of second hand books for sale if they no longer wish to keep them in stock.